Saturday, September 5, 2015

E4stat visits the 2015 Sinquefield Cup (Part 2)

Sunday, August 30 - Round 7

I came earlier this time. The World Chess Hall of Fame is across the street from the chess club. Outside the front door stands the world's tallest chess piece.




Unfortunately, the World Chess Hall of Fame was not open when I arrived.



Kingside Diner is next to the chess club.



This time the action started before I even entered the chess club. I was crossing the street to get lunch, and I met Yasser Seirawan! I said hi to him even though he probably has no idea who I am. There were more minor chess celebrities inside the club...




GM Ben Finegold, paying a visit before going to Kingside Diner. And then there was GM Alejandro Ramirez. He wrote the report for ChessBase. Back in 2014, I briefly exchanged a few emails with him when ChessBase was preparing to publish my article, "1.e4 - 'Best by Test'?"


Since I came so early, I was able to stand in the front row once inside the playing hall. This made it easier to get decent pictures, but there were no guarantees...


Vachier-Lagrave "photobombed" this picture of Topalov.


Vachier-Lagrave filling out his scoresheet prior to his game with Caruana.


Anand waiting for the round to start.


Caruana about to start his game against Vachier-Lagrave. This is the game that was closest to where I was standing.


Vachier-Lagrave deciding on how he wants to meet Caruana's 3.Bb5+.





Grischuk battling against the world champion. He won!


Wesley So earned a large advantage against Anand, but the former world champion defended resourcefully and held a draw.



Nakamura checks out the other games. 


Vachier-Lagrave exiting the club after drawing Caruana.

Coming soon: a short video from Round 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment